Former reality star Kristin Cavallari balances her busy family life (she's the mother of three children under 5) with several budding business projects (her recent partnership with Bounty, ongoing collaboration with Chinese Laundry, and her jewelry line, Emerald Duv)—and she does it all while wearing heels (and also designing and writing about them!)

The self-proclaimed "Wife, mother, jewelry & shoe designer, [and] NY Times best selling author” is adding another helping to her plate with an upcoming cookbook, True Roots, set to launch in 2018—and if Cavallari's recipes are any reflection of her #foodporn Instagram feed of culinary adventures, fans are in for a serious treat.

Cavallari told InStyle, "I eat healthy 80 percent of the time, and the other 20 percent, I indulge, I enjoy, I have fun.” The 29-year-old Laguna Beach alum’s (mostly) healthy diet will be represented in her cookbook, combining kid-friendly and food-lover-friendly options. For example, the entrepreneur’s go-to no-bake cookie dough balls, which include "no white anything—no white sugar, salt, white flour,” Cavallari explained, "all the sweeteners are real: pure maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey, those sorts of things.”

When it comes to that indulgent 20 percent, Cavallari also loves to make seasonal treats for the whole family.

One of Cavallari's brood's absolute favorites is her pumpkin banana bread, which she swears "never lasts more than a day in our house!”

Shared below is Kristin's go-to recipe for the seasonal baked good, which also makes great muffins (pictured above).

VIDEO: Mariah Carey Celebrates Halloween Early with Her Twins

Kristin Cavallari's Pumpkin Banana Bread


2 cups spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
2 cups (1 can) pumpkin purée
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup almond or coconut milk
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, mashed


Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan.

In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together until combined. In a medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Fold in mashed banana. Pour batter in the load pan until it's 2/3 full. Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean (maybe use a knife to make sure—the toothpick trick doesn't always work with spelt flour).

To enjoy the recipe in muffin form, bake for about 20 minutes.

Scroll to Top